Where am I now

ISLA MUJERAS 1/7 - 1/13/2018

It seems like I just wrote one of these a few days ago.

Tammy Watson, a recent boat schooled high school graduate, has generously helped me with this one, so hopefully things will go a little smoother than last time. Tammy moved aboard s/v Jasamine with her Australian Father and South African Mother when she was only two days old. They did live ashore in Florida for several years, but other than that, Jasamine has been her home. You can check out Tammy's more mature/professional blog at saltysuitcase.blogspot.mx.

Grace arrived a week ago Sunday. She flew into Cancun, took a taxi to the ferry terminal and a ferry to the island. It was the third day of really nice weather, to be followed by five more. We were joined by Stephanie on Friday. Stephanie and Grace were housemates in Milwaukee and now Stephanie lives in Los Angeles. Before Stephanie's arrival, Grace and I rented a golf cart for a half day and pretty much explored the entire island. We checked out the waves and tidal pools on the east shore; went through the sculpture garden, including the walkway that the waves break on; drove through the neighborhoods; bought groceries; etc. One afternoon I took Grace and Tammy drift snorkeling. Grace and I checked out many of the shops at the north end of the island. We also went for a long bike ride one day, discovered some new restaurants and spent considerable time here at the hotel/marina's beach and courtyard. Grace got to know some of the boat/hotel people and visa versa.

Stephanie got in Friday afternoon. Grace and her immediately went to the Soggy Peso for margaritas and appetizers, came back to the hotel for the grilled red snapper/grouper dinner and then went to the north/party end of the island. The next day it was cool and windy. The girls hung out here for awhile, did some shopping, rented a golf cart and then those two, plus Tammy and I, all went out for dinner. It was a fun week.

Some other stuff:

1. In hopes of being a little more productive I've tried to get into somewhat of a routine. It all starts with me inexplicably waking up around 3 AM, just like I did when living on-shore. Only now instead of laying there for hours hoping to fall back to sleep, I've been downloading music. In the process I have reached the limit of son Chance's Spotify account. He didn't know that was possible. So, I am now moving the best songs from albums onto playlists, deleting the rest and uploading more. It's taking time, but what else am I doing at 4:00 in the morning. And occasionally, I do fall back to sleep. I usually get out of bed between 6:30 and 7:00, do my morning reading, pick up whatever mess I made the night before and then at 8:00 I listen to the Cruisers Net (more about that later). That lasts about 10 minutes, then I go for my "workout" (more about that later), which keeps me busy until 9:30ish. On my way back to the boat I stop and socialize with a group of boaters/hotel guests. That can go until 11:00 or so. About half the time I'll follow that with a short swim. By 3:00 or 4:00 there is usually a group of boaters/hotel guests having drinks on-shore or in the water. So, that leaves me between noon and 4:00 to get some things done. I have been pretty good about doing that. However, I still need to fit taking on-line Spanish lessons, as well as a breath holding class, into my schedule. As far as the later goes, they claim that in 30 days they can train you to hold your breath for 5 minutes. That would be great.

2. As far as my "workout" goes, I walk a mile or so to the baseball stadium. I used to follow that with 3 sets of 8 exercises using a resistance rope (I'm not sure what it's really called), but just when I thought that was getting pretty boring, a home workout app popped up on my phone. How does google do that? Anyway, it was for a 28 day, 7 minute/day workout led by an animated character named Tabitha. I figured how hard can that be, so I downloaded the app and selected the intermediate level. Well, that two dimensional pony tailed brat (I'm being kind), is kicking my butt. Plus, I've even detected a little attitude in her voice lately. I've completed 15 of the 28 days and I'm determined not to let her beat me, even if I have to cheat. And yes, I am cheating. I still do one set with the resistance rope and then walk the mile or so back.

3. Arriving at the stadium is often interesting. I've seen everything from the remnants of rum and coke parties; the leftovers following birthday parties; stages erected and torn down; as well as people sleeping off a rough night. I can't imagine what they think when they see me doing my version of something called a "Dead Bug". 

4. A Cruisers Net is usually set up at any location where quite a few full time live aboard boaters might congregate for one reason or another. It is run by the cruisers themselves. The one in Isla Mujeras begins at 8:00 each morning, except for Sunday. In this case, there are three rotating moderators, but they are always asking for more.

The format includes:
a. Asking if anyone needs emergency assistance.
b. Asking that everyone call in with their boat's name.
c. Asking if there are any new boats.
d. Asking if any boats are leaving. If there are, they usually thank and say bye to everyone.
e. A weather report is given.
f.  Asking if anyone has boat related questions.
g. Asking if anyone needs crew, or if there is any crew needing a boat.
h. Asking if anyone has anything to buy, sell or trade.
i.  Asking if anyone has any announcements. This usually involves getting together at one beach, bar or another. For instance last night a bunch of us went to the Felix bar to watch a Cuban band and salsa demonstrations.
j. Sign off.

The beginning of the following week involved dogs and doctors, but more about that next time. 

If you go to the blogs home page, (https://mitchellstarshipii.blogspot.mx/) there is now a map, thanks to Tammy. 

The latest itinerary:

1/16 - 1/26+/-  Flex time in Isla Mujeras
1/27 - 2/4 In Isla Mujeras sightseeing, snorkeling and exploring the mainland - Full, with Chance, Katie and friends on-board
2/5- 2/10+/- In Isla Mujeras sightseeing, snorkeling and exploring the mainland - Room for four
2/11 - 2/12+/- In Isla Mujeras preparing for sail to Belize - Room for one with Ted and Chip on-board
2/13 - 2/19 +/- Sailing from Isla Mujeras to Belize, including checking-out at Majahual, Mexico and checking-in at San Pedro, Belize - Room for one with Ted and Chip on-board
2/20+/- Sailing from San Pedro to Cay Caulker - Room for one with Ted and Chip on-board
2/21 - 2/23+/- In Cay Caulker - Room for one with Ted and Chip on-board
2/24 - 3/4+/- In Belize sightseeing, snorkeling and exploring the mainland – Full, with Harpo, Jaynece, Pete, Elaine and Ted on-board
3/5+/- Flex time in Belize
3/6 - 3/11+/- In Belize sightseeing, snorkeling and exploring the mainland – Full, with Katie, Cindy and Brent on-board
3/12+/- Flex time in Belize
3/13 - 3/19+/- In Belize sightseeing, snorkeling and exploring the mainland - Room for four
3/20+/- Flex time in Belize
3/21 - 3/27+/- In Belize sightseeing, snorkeling and exploring the mainland – Full, with the Nelson party on-board
3/28 - 4/4+/- In Belize sightseeing, snorkeling and exploring the mainland – Full, with DJ, Jennie and Delana on-board
4/5 - 4/11+/- In Belize sightseeing, snorkeling and exploring the mainland – Full, with the Nelson party on-board
4/12 - 4/21+/- Cay Caulker, Belize to Roatan, Honduras, with one or two days in Belize, a two day sail and one or two days in Roatan – Room for two with Dayton and Kristy on-board
4/26 - 5/1+/- In Roatan and other Bay Islands of Honduras sightseeing and snorkeling – Full, with Nita and family on-board

5/2-5/6+/- Flex time in Roatan
5/7 - 5/13+/- In Roatan and other Bay Islands of Honduras sightseeing and snorkeling – Room for four
5/14 - 5/20+/- In Roatan and other Bay Islands of Honduras sightseeing and snorkeling – Room for four
5/21 - 5/27+/- In Roatan and other Bay Islands of Honduras sightseeing and snorkeling – Room for four
5/28 - ?/?? ?????, Stay in Roatan and then most likely head to the Rio Dulce in Guatemala for hurricane season, explore the Guatemalan Highlands and make trips back to the States to visit family and friends – Room for four most of the time





Grace and I at the hotel/Marina. The lighting really is pretty cool.

At the GreenVerde, a traditional Mexican restaurant that's located in the front part of a home. There are a lot of very good, inexpensive places to eat and drink, all within walking distance. That's their margarita glass.

This is of a zillion sardines between the hulls of Starship II. From the dock and with the crystal clear water, I've also seen barracuda, small stingrays, decent size octopus, parrot fish and other fish I don't have a clue about. 

This was built at the ball park to celebrate Happy Three Kings Day, which is celebrated 12 days after Christmas to remember the day that the three wise men arrived in Bethlehem with gifts for baby Jesus.

Grace and Tammy in the dinghy on our way to go snorkeling.

Finishing up some drift snorkeling. They saw a lot of fish, especially parrot fish; a lot of coral, especially brain coral: and a sea turtle.

In front of Tammy's home.

This is the view from the Soggy Peso, which is the nearest restaurant/bar to the boat. They serve notoriously strong drinks.

I have no idea what this means. 

This one either, but it probably doesn't mean everything's great.
Sunset from the hotel's rooftop.

This was taken from the hotel rooftop looking  in the other direction. The island is pretty narrow here, but there are two roads and a runway between the hotel and that home on the Caribbean Sea. 

After working out, Grace added jumping off one of the bows and going for a short swim to my morning routine.

 One of the very nice homes on the Caribbean side of the island.

And another.

According to my Wildlife of the Caribbean book, I think this is a Redfin Needlenose fish. It was close to 3' long..
From the sculpture garden with Cancun in the distance.

This was my favorite. Grace's favorite was just a pile of rust where a sculpture used to be.
And another.

This and the next two photos are of a path at the sculpture garden that is right on the surf. It was pretty fun.


 
Not what you'd expect. It was full of people older, greyer and with less hair than me.


Stephanie and Grace.


















Comments

Popular Posts